Michael Buckmire, MD, FACS, FASCRS
Board Certified Colon & Rectal Surgeon
Dr. Michael Buckmire grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He attended Duke University for his undergraduate education and subsequently attended University of Maryland School of Medicine where he earned his MD in 1993. His surgical training was done in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. There, he developed an interest in colon and rectal surgery during two years of intensive lab research during his residency. He then spent a year at Washington University – Barnes Jewish Hospital, in St. Louis, Missouri, undergoing further training as a fellow in colon and rectal surgery.
He initially took a position as an Assistant Professor in Surgery at Drexel University College of Medicine in Philadelphia, teaching residents and running the medical students' 3 year curriculum. He moved to the Valley in 2002 and has practiced colorectal surgery in the Phoenix Metropolitan area since then. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery and performs all aspects of a colon and rectal surgical practice, including colonoscopy and laparoscopic colon resections. He has a special interest in malignancies of the rectum and anal region and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Undergraduate: Duke University
- Medical School: University of Maryland School of Medicine
- General Surgery Residency: MCP-Hahnemann School of Medicine in Philadelphia
- Fellowship in Colon & Rectal Surgery: Washington University School of Medicine - Barnes Jewish Hospital
Professional Affiliations & Certifications
- 2002 - Current: Dr. Buckmire has been in private practice as a Colon & Rectal Surgeon in the Phoenix area.
- 2001 - 2002: Dr. Buckmire Assistant Professor in Surgery at Drexel University
- Fellow of the American Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Board Certified by the American Board of Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Board Certified by the American Board of Surgery
Colon & Rectal Surgical Practice Includes
- Laparoscopic and Robotic Colon Resections
- Evaluation & Management of Anorectal Disease
- Evaluation and Management of Benign Colorectal Disease
- Evaluation and Management of Anal Conditions: Neoplastic & Benign
- Diagnostic & Therapeutic Colonoscopies
- Rectal and Anal Cancer
Hospitals and Surgery Centers Staffed At
- Banner Desert Medical Center
- Banner Ocotillo Medical Center
- Banner Surgery Center - Desert
- Center for Advanced Surgery
- Chandler Regional Medical Center
- Mercy Gilbert Medical Center
- Top Doctors 2012, Top Doctors 2013, 2019, 2020 Top Doctors 2018 – Phoenix Magazine
- Top Doctors 2012, Top Doctors 2013, Top Doctors 2017 – Castle Connolly's
Colleen F. - "Dr. Buckmire is a rockstar. I had repeated bouts of diverticulitis and knew surgery was going to be inevitable. I was terrified. So I went in for a consult and he patiently answered all my questions and even handed me a tissue as I was so scared and emotional. He spent longer explaining things than any other physician I've seen. I decided on the surgery-still scared but he remained reassuring. Surgery went much better than I anticipated. Post surgery my pain was very controlled. He visited me in the hospital several times. The nurses like him as he is respectful toward them as well. When it came time for me to be discharged and things were being unnecessarily delayed, he was an advocate for me and took care of it promptly so I could go home, where I wanted to be. I had very little problems afterward and I am feeling better than I have for a few years. He is highly skilled, and with the bedside manner you want. I have already recommended him to others considering surgery. "
Bobbi G. - "I can't say enough good things about Dr. Buckmire. He is incredibly knowledgeable, easy to talk to, and explains everything in a way you can understand. He's been a "Top Doc" many times in Phoenix Magazine, and it's easy to see why."
Joe K. - "Dr. Buckmire is an outstanding surgeon with a great bedside manner who is very straight forward in explaining all of your options as well as explaining any potential issues with each option. He was also great in my follow up.
If I must go back for addition surgery due to my possibly progressive condition I would ask to see Dr. Buckmire first and foremost as he is truly the best in my opinion."
Rich C. - "I've had one appointment with Dr. Buckmire. I was greatly impressed. He gave me a very detailed explanation of everything that was in front of me. I didn't feel that he was rushed, but he didn't waste any time. He's a great person and a great doctor. I haven't been under his knife yet, but my first impression was very positive."